Mansoura Manchester Medical Education Program seeksto be one ofthe most advanced and distinguished programs at the global level and includes the following features:
- The program relies primarily on self-directed learning and student-centered education, using Problem Based Learning (PBL) method, in small working groups (10-15 students) and credit hours.
- The basic scientific methods used at the University of Manchester, England are used with some modifications to suit the regional and cultural nature of the students at Mansoura University.
- The program is designed in the form of semesters and modules and distributed in a coordinated and integrated way vertically and horizontally between basic and clinical science courses.
- The University of Manchester / England is involved in the supervision of the educational process.
- The teaching and training is carried out by a distinguished group of faculty members and their assistants, with the use of modern methods such as e-learning.
- Students begin clinical training in university hospitals and specialized medical centers from the first semester as an early clinical experience.
- There are optional parts or student selected components as well as a graduation project includes clinical training in hospitals and specialized medical centers inside or outside Egypt for a period of 7 weeks.
- 8) Continious communication with the University of Manchester to:
- i. Get new and updated curriculum and teaching methods and send number of students annually.
- ii. Accept number of graduates of the program to obtain a master's degree from the University of Manchester for a tuition fee equivalent to the cost of British students.
- 9) The graduate of program holds a Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree from Mansoura University - Mansoura Manchester Medical Education Program - Credit Hours System.
- 10) The Egyptian Academic Standards (NARS) are adopted for the graduate program specifications as a minimum for the program.
a - Credit Hours System
Credit hour is an educational measuring unit that decides the value of each syllabus compared to other syllabuses and it is equal to one-hour lecture per week in a single semester and two practical or laboratory hours per week in a single semester.
b - The Semester
The semester's duration is 15 weeks on average.
c - The Academic Year
It falls into two major semesters each one is followed by a final exam and they are separated with the midyear vacation.
d - Study Duration
The study duration is 5 academic years or five levels of study distributed on 10 semesters beside two training practical years.
The 10 semesters distributed in two academic phases as follows:
o The first phase: from the first semester to the fourth semester
o The second phase: from the fifth semester to the tenth semester
Study schedule :
- Problem Based Learning sessions: 2 times/week (1.5 hours each).
- Lectures in related topics: 3-5 times/weeks (1 hour each).
- Practical sessions: 4 times / week.
- Student's presentations in a related theme: once weekly.
- Early Experience: 2 times/week.
- Tutor Availability (TA): Once weekly.
- Tutor Meeting (TM): Once weekly